Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Random Picture 62


There are cans of "retro drops" for sale irregularly in Japan. This is a product which is not very popular for its actual taste, as they are simply fruit-flavored hard candies, but rather for the style of tin that they are sold in. Wikipedia says they have a lot of nostalgia value since they have been available since the Meiji period (early 1900's). However, the company that makes these was established in 1948, so I guess that before that it was one of those hand-rolling and making it out of a little building deals (shinise) that you see less and less frequently in Japan.

I've never bought these candies, and I can't see myself ever bothering to review them because I'm guessing they won't be appreciably different from whatever is offered in the West. These do have the virtue of being made with real fruit juice, but the only reason to buy them besides cultivating a cavity is for the tin they come in, and frankly, I've got enough junk lying around my apartment already.

6 comments:

Helen said...

I'm not 100% sure as I haven't seen the movie, but I think the decorations on the can are a tie in to the movie, "Grave of the Fireflies."

I think the children in the film ate these candies or something. Perhaps another reader is better informed?

Nayami said...

these look familiar, i think they were in one of ghibli's films?

Ikkin-bot said...

They did eat them in Grave of the Fireflies. I've had them and they are actually quite nice hard candies.

~C said...

When I went to Kyoto, I brought these back as a souvenir for my boyfriend. He said that it was possibly the worst movie tie-in ever, considering what happens! But he has a black sense of humor like me, so he thought it was an awesome gift.

x said...

Candy aside, Grave of the Fireflies was probably one of the most heartbreaking movies I've ever seen in my life. We watched it during one of my university literature classes and every single student ended up crying.

Mr Beansprout said...

they are from the movie... its such a sad movie... but those candies are really nice to eat :)