Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Random Picture #129

I cracked open his skull and feasted on the goo inside.

One of the last things I did before leaving Japan was make a trip to Takadanobaba, an area known for its college population, and have teppanyaki with some students of mine. Besides being a popular place for the kids who get into Waseda University to hang out, it is known for its association with cartoonist Osamu Tezuka. There is an enormous mural not too far from the Japan Railway station that features his various characters.

The most famous character is Astro Boy, and the streets have pictures of him hanging from various posts. Of course, you can also get yourself some bean cake on and one of my last treats was this white bean cake that I picked up on a long walk home after our teppanyaki meal. This cost 400 yen ($5.09) and was delicious. From where I sit in the U.S. now, where I can get 3 loaves of tasty, buttery pound cake at Costco for $7, this looks insanely expensive for a single serving. However, if I ever make it back to Japan, I'd buy this again.

No comments: