Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Random Picture #134


There's a huge snack shop in the Ameyokocho shopping district in Ueno, Tokyo that is so dizzying in its vastness (both because it has two stores and two floors) that I couldn't drink it all in when I went there. It not only carries a plethora of imports, but also about every sort of Japanese manju (traditional sweet) that one might imagine. The shop is called "Niki no Kashi" and is well worth a visit if you find yourself visiting Tokyo.

On the occasion that my husband and I visited, the big challenge was always to choose from among the huge variety of options at hand such that we could actually consume what we purchased before said foods acquired house guests (of the bacterial or insect variety). Since things are relatively cheap there, it's that much harder to walk away. The banana manju pictured above was a tricky one because my husband likes all things banana and it has a dopey saying on the box. "It finished only using the delicious banana selected carefully. Please enjoy momentary tea time." I guess you wouldn't want your tea time to drag on too terribly long.

We didn't end up buying this because I'm not a huge fan of banana snacks, even if they are crafted with delicious and carefully selected fruit.

2 comments:

thegypsie said...

I am a huge fan of store finds that have Engrish (engrish.com has some of my submissions) sayings. I too am a fan of banana flavored goodies. If in your California travels you happen around Arroyo Grande or Orcutt, try Doc Burnstein's Ice Cream. They have a flavor called the Elvis Special, it's banana with peanut butter swirl. It's expensive but really tasty.

Gerrytales said...

Hi there! Thank yo for dropping by!!! I have always been a huge fan of Japanese culture. I loved anime as a kid and grew up reading manga and watching dramas. I chose the Japanese theme for my 20th birthday because I've always wanted a costume party and I simply love Japan! <3

^__^